Friday, May 23, 2008

frozen wave

i've been enduring one of those runs where i just can't seem to make myself a decent cup of coffee. it happens to the best of us at times, i know. it's been happening to me this week. cup after cup, morning after morning for the last week have just been...blah. roasts are good. greens are good. proportions and other fundamentals are good. i just can't seem to get it together. chemex. press. hario. aeropress. melitta pour over. no matter. it's just...off.

i'll get it together and have a great cup soon, i'm sure. just tossing that out there to the wind/ether.

have you ever had a frozen wave of mediocre cups by your own hand?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, 23 May, 2008, Blogger Jason Haeger said...

I know I have, but it's usually because I suck at roasting, and I'm drinking my own roasts.

I'd say 75% of my coffee consumption is in the form of espresso.

I'm willing to bet, though, that if those "mediocre" cups of coffee were made by someone else, you wouldn't rate them as low. ;o)

 
At Monday, 26 May, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prolly true. The whole, "My own worst critic," and all that.

Still, that's a pretty disheartening feeling. It's like a batter trying to get back into a groove after a long summer slump at the plate. Momentum--either way--seems to create momentum.

 
At Tuesday, 23 September, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Yeah I have had days were all my coffees were just slightly off, but many of the customers thought the drink was still way better than the competitions. I always wondered if that was the "my own worst critic. . " or the customer being an unflagging fanboy/girl of the vein. The industry in tucson always made me wonder, people like what they "like" sometimes and stick to their guns.
But I digress, Yeah I have had days that were not stellar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home